Another year goes by, another iPhone range comes into the mix. Maybe i might be a bit biased towards Android these days as they seem to be leading the way, but Apple are definately keeping up with new developments year by year…but this year’s new Apple iPhone 13 range, just doesnt seem to have that edge it has in recent years.
While there are some upgrades compared to the current iPhone 12 range, it doesnt seem those upgrades are ground breaking compared to what Apple has done in the past. A smaller notch, brighter display, faster A15 bionic chip, better battery life are all well and good to keep up to date, but the one thing Apple has really stepped up overall is their camera game.
The iPhone 13 mini promises 1.5 hours of longer battery life, while the iPhone 13 promises 2.5 hours of extra endurance. The iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max also promise 1.5 hours and 2.5 hours of extra juice, respectively.
Meanwhile, the iPhone 13 Pro delivers 120Hz ProMotion displays and an all-new camera system that includes a 6-element, ultra-wide lens and 3x optical zoom. You also get macro photography capabilities, larger batteries and a new sierra blue color.
Here are the top new features for the iPhone 13 Mini & iPhone 13:
- iPhone 13 mini starts at $1199 and iPhone 13 at $1349 with 128GB of storage.
- The new iPhone 13 features a smaller notch that’s 20% smaller than iPhone 12.
- The design features a new diagonal camera layout, and the cameras capture 40% more light. The ultra-wide camera lets in more light, too.
- The iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini will come in five new colors: pink, blue, midnight, starlight and Product Red
- The displays on the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro are 28% brighter, with 800 nits of brightness.
- The iPhone 13 and offers cinematic video (portrait mode), which delivers movie-like video recording that changes the focus on the fly to various subjects.
- 5G connectivity should get better with support for more bands.
- The iPhone 13 mini promises 1.5 hours of more battery life, and that goes up to 2.5 hours for the iPhone 13.
Here are the top new features for the iPhone 13 Pro & iPhone 13 Pro Max:
- The iPhone 13 Pro starts at $1699, and the iPhone 13 Pro Max at $1849. Plus, there’s a new 1TB storage option.
- There’s a new ProMotion display on the iPhone 13 Pro series that scales from 10Hz to 120Hz, and it’s designed to respond dynamically.
- There’s a new telephoto camera with 3x optical zoom, a new 6-element ultra-wide lens that lets in more light, and a wide camera with a 2.2x improvement in low light.
- The iPhone 13 Pro is capable of macro photography with extreme close-ups, and all of the cameras now support Night mode.
- A new TrueDepth camera system is 20 percent smaller for a shrunken notch, and there’s a textured matte glass on the back.
- The iPhone 13 Pro comes with a bigger battery so you should expect longer endurance. The Pro is rated for 1.5 hours longer and the Pro Max 2.5 hours longer.
- A15 Bionic chip promises the most powerful graphics ever with 50% better performance than competing phones (rated).
- A new Super Retina XDR display supports up to 1,000 nits for better outdoor brightness.
- The iPhone 13 Pro comes in graphite, gold, silver and new sierra blue.
Overall, it seems like Apple is keeping pace with the likes of Samsung, but still lacking in some areas. If you have the current iPhone 12 range, i would wait till the next generation next year before upgrading, but anything prior to that, this would be a good upgrade.
The iPhone 13 release date is September 24 for all four models. The iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max will be available to pre-order on Friday, September 17.